Mission Statement of Sacred Heart Parish We, the Church of
the Sacred Heart, in the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Portland in
Oregon, are a people of faith, graced by God to be His own: a joyful,
sometimes struggling, sign of divine presence in our world. We seek a
true knowledge of God by allowing the Good News from the voice of the
Son to be heard in our midst, by immersing ourselves in the lives of
all people, and by following the example of the Spirit in serving
others, especially the "little ones". Acknowledging the example of the
intimate, redemptive relationship lived out by Jesus Christ, we strive
to be patient, forgiving, healing, freeing and uplifting in our lives
and liturgies. By so doing, we glimpse the reality of the Kingdom and
the cherished position of all people.
The Administrative Council oversees
the finances and physical plant.
The Altar Society provides the
bread, wine, missals, and other liturgical needs of the parish.
The Community Events Committee plans
events which promote community.
The Faith Formation Committee
facilitates events which strengthen and inspire spiritual growth.
The Hospitality Committee hosts and
serves refreshments at funeral receptions, upon request, in the rectory
basement or Sacred Heart Villa dining room. They provide coffee, punch
and desserts made by volunteers.
The Liturgy Committee plans liturgies
for the important feasts of the liturgical year.
The Liturgical Environment Committee
is responsible for the interior decoration of the church's liturgical
The Pastoral Council is the planning
council for the parish.
The Social Justice and Peace Commission raises
awareness about current social justice issues, educates about Catholic
social teaching and volunteers in social justice projects.
The St. Vincent De Paul Society provides
for the needs of the poor in our parish boundaries.
The Youth Board is a group of parents
who plan and organize fellowship for the youth of the parish.
Sacred Heart Parish
A Short History
Sacred Heart Parish was founded in 1893. The
Benedictine Fathers of Mount Angel were asked to staff the parish in
1894 and continued to do so until 1998. The present day church was
originally located at SE Boise Street and Milwaukie Avenue. The pillars
inside the church were cut from trees growing on the property. In 1910
a new location was purchased from the Oregon Central Railroad Company
and the church building was moved to its recent site at 11th and
Center. The rectory was built that year too. A school, hall and convent
were added later completing the parish complex that stood for nearly
100 years. The high ground on the western edge of Brooklyn came to be
called Benedictine Heights on Portland maps. This name remains today as
a reminder of the early Catholic influence.
Sacred Heart Parish emerged as a force in the
neighborhood during its early growth. Gregory Hall on Center Street was
the center of much and varied activity over the years. In the 1920's
the hall was leased to Kiser Studios for the production of silent
films. Approximately twelve silent films were made in the sandlot next
to the hall. A young Boris Karloff played in Flames, a movie
about the logging industry which was filmed at Sacred Heart. In the
1940's, the Young People's Club sponsored many dances for the young
folks of the city.
Events and films aside, Sacred Heart Parish has
long served the needs of the poor in this area and elsewhere. After the
stock market crash in 1929, Fr Gregory Robl, pastor from 1903 to 1945
was instrumental in providing food and finding jobs for people. After
WWII, clothing, and blankets and food were packed for shipment from our
rectory to the war torn countries of Europe.
Sacred Heart School closed in 1992 due to low
enrollment. Sacred Heart Early Childhood Center was housed in the
building for three years until it was forced to close because the
building did not meet City of Portland seismic requirements. In 2004,
the parish sold property for the creation of a senior living facility.
Gregory Hall was torn down in early 2005, while Sacred Heart School was
demolished in June of that year.